Monday, February 15, 2010

A Movie Worth Checking Out


I really dig Jeff Bridges. And I love authentic country music (not to be confused with most of the crap that comes out of Nashville), and Western movies and Old West lore. It just so happens that Bridges has two roles within a year of each other with a Western theme (the next one being a remake of True Grit). Crazy Heart has been the only movie on my radar for quite some time. I did eventually cave to the Avatar hype, and found the hullabaloo maddeningly but predictably overdone. And today, for the second President's Day in a row, I took off a few hours early for a matinee. It's not exactly flying under the radar, since Bridges is the favorite to win the Oscar for Best Actor next month, so I won't try to pretend I discovered it like Oprah, and I won't be too long-winded, but I will recommend it, and provide you with some music from Ryan Bingham, who wrote most of the film's music (which was sadly unavailable on Playlist; Google The Weary Kind or watch the Crazy Heart trailer to hear the theme song), and who I've been familiar thanks to my cowboy friend Kyle. At any rate, I wasn't sure how to feel about the film's ending at first, since it's not the standard predictable neat finish, but after marinating a little, I think it was perfect. At any rate, I hope everyone got plenty of nookie over the Valentine's weekend. Have a great short workweek, and see you soon with a survey I have been putting together. Invite your friends! Ciao.

P.S. Just one interesting side note. Colin Farrell plays a country singer in Crazy Heart. And amazingly, he pulls off not only the accent, but the singing. So, major props to our favorite drunken Irish lout.

2 comments:

  1. I think I remember seeing a trailer for this once upon a time, and thinking it looked good. I'll look into it, for sure.

    Can't wait for the poll...I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy Aaron, you're making me wish I had more time to blog... you've posted some good stuff since I last visited!

    The Hitler/Home Teaching thing was AWESOME! Jon swears this is why he regularly skips Elders quorum...

    And, AMEN, Sex & the City is trashy low and beyond insulting to any semi-intelligent being, and I hope it's not too rude to fully agree, but YES, Sarah Jessica Parker IS ugly!!! I like her a lot, but attractive, she is NOT!

    Fun to catch up with you today, and what is "nookie" anyway? Is that the way the Elders quorum members speak in Zion? ;)

    ReplyDelete