Monday, December 28, 2009

Best Movies of 2009

Okay, it seems pretty pretentious to do my own top ten list. Most people barely give two farts what so-called professional critics love. And since I haven't blogged in a month and a half, and on top of that, haven't seen all the Oscar bait they release in New York and L.A. at the end of the year, I can't make a completely informed decision. Hollywood seems to think that movies can't be both artistically superior and accessible to the masses, so unless someone works their butt off for seven years on the Lord of the Rings trilogy, blockbusters are out the window in favor of self-important claptrap like The English Patient. We lesser mortals don't get all of the year's movies until late into January (half of which is usually pretty good). In fact, this is what Hollywood pretty much thinks of Middle America:



And we all know that only the people who went to Transformers 2 live in trailers like that. Anyway, whether you care or not, here is my Top Ten of 2009...

10. Duplicity - That's right. I kinda liked it, even if no one else did. It's a corporate espionage comedy with Julia Roberts and Clive Owen. But the real reason to see it is for Paul Giamatti and Tom Wilkinson as competing CEOs. Anything with Giamatti, even in a supporting role, is a winner in my book.

9. Taken - Liam Neeson's daughter is kidnapped and he starts handing out compound fractures like a Chinese lady handing out free Szechuan Chicken samples at a mall food court. The plot is nothing you haven't seen before, and his ex-wife is much bitchier than necessary, but you will get sucked in if you have a pulse, especially when he starts crossing lines that are usually off-limits in this type of flick.

8. Up - Okay, you've all seen this. It's Pixar, and it's really good, and it's amazing that it was such a blockbuster when you consider it was about a grumpy old fart.

7. Sherlock Holmes - I had a great time with this movie. Robert Downey, Jr. continues to move back up the Hollywood A-list. The re-creation of 1860s London was superb. And Jude Law is pretty terrific as Watson too.

6. District 9 - Far from a standard alien movie, this one has some real grit to it that made it one of the most popular of the year, and it helps that its message is handled with some subtlety.

5. Fantastic Mr. Fox - From the numbers on this one, a lot of people stayed away. Director Wes Anderson always does some quirky stuff, some of which I like and others I don't, but I thought this one was hilarious, and had the best replacement cuss words ever.

4. Adventureland - This was another one that kind of flopped, and it's too bad, because while it's not laugh-out-loud funny, it's a really sweet coming-of-age flick with an amusement park background.

3. The Blind Side - Another inspirational sports movie, but this one really stands out, and makes you wonder what life would be like if we all reached out to people who need someone to care.

2. Inglourious Basterds/Zombieland - This is cheating, but these two kind of belong together, at least for me, because they're both superviolent dark comedies with really twisted humor, and both made me walk out with a big smile stuck to my face. If that kind of thing is your cup of tea, you've probably already seen both, and if not, then you can just ignore this slot and move on up.

1. Sunshine Cleaning - I didn't expect to make this my #1, but something about it really got to me. Amy Adams is a single mother who cleans houses for a living and stumbles into the business of crime scene cleanup with her slacker sister, played by Emily Blunt. In the same way Lars and the Real Girl did a year or two ago, it takes what sounds like a really sick idea and turns it into something sweet and inspirational.

... And now, one to stay away from. I can't really make a full "Worst Of" list, because I try to stay away from stuff that looks stupid, boring, or whatever. But Year One was by far the worst movie I saw this year. Michael Cera and Jack Black playing cavemen? Sounds (to me) like gold. But it was straight-up retarded. It was a big loser at theatres, but I think I lost some much-needed I.Q. points by sitting through the whole thing.

Anyway, that's it. Thanks for humoring me. What were your faves/least faves of 2009? I'll be back in a few days with another post. (No, really).

5 comments:

  1. I've only seen one of your Top Ten, actually. (Blind Side--so good!) But I really, really want to see Up, Sherlock Holmes, and Taken. Especially Sherlock. I may have to see that before year's end...

    My favorites of the year? Well, I won't give you my Top ten, because I can't think of that many...but here are a few (in no particular order):

    -I'll second your nomination for Blind Side. SO GOOD!
    -Invictus. I think I may like this one better than Blind Side. I left the theater feeling so grateful for what I've got, and it made me want to have something to really cheer for. Also, the poem alone is amazing.
    -We saw The Princess and the Frog on Christmas, and it was cute. I'm ignoring everything Obama says about history being made because it's the first black princess and all that crap. I guess that's all fine and good, but it was a cute movie. I especially liked the lightning bug called Ray(mond)--probably mostly because of his Cajun accent, but also because he's a cute little bug with a good heart. And it teaches a lovely lesson.
    -I really liked Julie&Julia. Probably not one I'll own, but it was entertaining, and DANG, Meryl Streep did a fantastic job playing Julia Child, didn't she?

    Now for one I didn't love:
    -Fame. Ugh. I kinda had high hopes for this won; I may have even seen it opening weekend, perhaps? The movie really didn't have a plot, and I think I was hoping that it was more of a musical than it was. It was...mediocre at best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. c'mon, Aaron. we both know that while Paul Giamatti is good, he's not flawless. look at that lame Planet of the Apes remake.

    that being said, I have to agree with you on Zombieland/Inglourious Basterds. LOVED THEM. and Gina was right with The Princess and The Frog. it was the best non-Pixar movie Disney has put out in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's funny that I've only seen two of these movies...and I'm your wife. But anywho, I have to agree with Gina on Julie&Julia, and I did/do love UP! But I think Sherlock Holmes was the funnest movie to see in the theater.

    And as a side note I did enjoy Harry Potter more the 2nd time at home than in the theater. I think reading the book right before seeing the movie may have ruined it a little for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I realize we're now almost halfway through 2010 but I finally took the time to peruse the list of movies from 2009 and list my favorites. It appears our lists overlap in the case of two films, and there are at least four on your list I haven't yet seen but hope to see in the future.

    My list (in order of their release):
    1. The Class
    2. Coraline
    3. Sin Nombre
    4. Earth
    5. Up
    6. A serious man
    7. An education
    8. Fantastic Mr. Fox
    9. Up in the air
    10. Avatar

    I have seen four movies on your list. We both liked Up and Fantastic Mr. Fox (what does that say about our apparently mutual juvenile sensibility?), however, though I liked Duplicity and Sherlock Holmes, they weren't among my ten favorite.

    The films I still hope to see are Inglorious Basterds, Adventureland, Sunshine Cleaning and Blindside. These all looked promising to me.

    On your list but not enticing to me: District 9 (don't like science fiction) and Taken (looked formulaic--an example of the type of film we discussed the other day, the result of a transparent effort to produce a film to make money versus an artist's attempt to realize his or her artistic vision. Perhaps the best movies do both, but if I have a choice, I find I usually enjoy the latter more than the former.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed looking over your list. I also have Up and District 9 in my top 10. My favorite film from that year was Sin Nombre. The rest of my list is here: http://movieworship.blogspot.jp/2013/01/top-10-films-of-2009.html

    Shane

    ReplyDelete