Sunday, July 19, 2009

Can We Just Get to Football Season?


I used to love summer. And while there are still parts of it I appreciate (mostly movies and barbecues), the wistful summers of my childhood, high school, and even college years are history. Mostly it's just hot. And nowhere do I feel it more than in sports. I like baseball, and in fact that was my favorite sport growing up, but I think I am more in love with the history and its Americanness than anything going on right now. It's not something I sit around for every day. Football I could watch for hours. It's really the only game that you get a chance to miss (and usually I start missing it shortly after the Super Bowl). The NBA Finals go into mid to late June, for heaven's sake. Every game in football counts. College, NFL... I don't care. I don't want to wish away the next few weeks, because we have a fantastic (and rare) anniversary trip to New York City coming up. The season is almost here, but it's Sunday afternoon, and I've just got the itch. But soon, my precious. 350-pound men in skintight jerseys, the crunching of helmets and bones, receivers having the ball sail over their heads and getting knocked into next week... oh yes, precious, fall is almost upon us.

P.S. I will be taking a hiatus from my Lighten Up Your Monday column due to low interest and having some other things I want to write about. If you miss it, let me know, and I'll give it another whirl and see if I can drum up a little more interest.

3 comments:

  1. I'll miss your Monday posts, but I'll survive I suppose. :) I'm happy for your happiness as fall approaches. And I'm WAY excited for you and the wifey to take a week long vacay with just the two of you in NYC. Hurrah!

    No, the wax Samuel L didn't say anything at all, even the F word.

    I'd be willing to try creme brulee, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is it that I'm the only one who comments anymore? Ri-dang-diculous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to the BYU-USU game in October. I'm actually way stoked to see BYU rack up the points. And while I enjoy NFL, I think I enjoy college football a tad more. My cup of tea is basketball, college, NBA, even playing (although it is widely known that I suck hardcore at the art of hoop shootage and running in general).

    ReplyDelete