Friday, April 10, 2009

I'm surrounded by a-holes...

When I first started this blog, I expected that I'd have a lot to say about current events. However, since the election, other than Inauguration Day I have been feeling pretty apolitical, partially out of winter blues/general grumpiness, but also because I'm waiting for the honeymoon phase with President Obama to wear off and have something interesting to talk about besides the recession.  This week, with the attack of the Somali pirates on the U.S.-operated Maersk Alabama and North Korea's repeated attempts to matter by launching a satellite into orbit (which failed), I've felt the first stirrings of political interest in the past 3-4 months.  North Korea always seems so desperate for attention, and I have to laugh at their tenacity.  There is a long history of brutality and oppression in North Korea, but given the pervasive presence of asshole dictators in the world, it seems that the West simply has bigger fish to fry right now, and absent any real show of power, Kim Jong Il and his boys just aren't going to hold our attention.

Which brings me to what I really want to say.  My friend Eskimo Bob recently blogged about a religious movement of Ultimate Fighters who want to accentuate the edgier side of Jesus, and his butt-kicking capabilities.  I'm not on board with that, but I do think sometimes people forget that Jesus wasn't all sugarplums and molasses and baskets of butterflies.  He said things that sometimes were interpreted as harsh, and was definitely not the pantywaist hippie that some people seem to prefer to see him as.  Which brings me back to the pirates.  I haven't kept up on the story continuously, but I was really annoyed by our Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton, who was laughing about the situation in a press conference, as if to say, "Those darn pirates!  Boys will be boys!"  I am rooting for the Obama Presidency to succeed spectacularly, but I am kind of wondering why this isn't being treated with the seriousness it deserves.  The pirates are completely defying the U.S. government, and it seems any time we should be putting the fear of God into them. Negotiation and diplomacy have their place, but not with terrorists, and that is all pirates are, even if Captain Jack Sparrow is a fun dude.  I had the most productive week I've had in a long time this week, so I'm in a fighting kind of mood, but for the love, can we just get this handled already?  That's all I have to say.  Discuss.

6 comments:

  1. Captain Hooker Hilary Clinton and her scurvy seadogs haven't done a darn thing for the government yet, but yet they have already made commemorative coins. Do you really want to remember the first black president if he turns out to be a total douchebag? I'm sure he's not the last. Maybe he will turn out to be a great American President, but I think it's a lottle early to determine. Maybe they'll surprise me, and I'll stop hating Hildog. But that would a lot. A whole buttload of great, wonderous crap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's ronery?

    When I was courting Amber - or maybe we were already married - who knows it was over 10 years ago anyhow. We went to the Logan zoo. . . or rather the Logan animal holding place.

    There was an enclosure - and the placard said that the animal inside was a 'Paccoon'.

    "What the heck is a paccoon? I asked.

    "I have no idea. Where's it from?" Amber retorted.

    "It says North America - I've never heard of a paccoon. What does it eat?" I wondered.

    "It's an omnivore - it eats bugs and vegetation and small rodents." Amber read.

    "Huh. HERE PACCOON! COME OUT PACCOON! PACCOON PACCOON PACCOON!!" I bellered.

    Amber starts laughing hysterically -

    I look to see what she's laughing at.

    "What the heck is a Raccoon doing in the Paccoon ..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I nominated you as one of my favorite blogs to read. Check out my latest post; it's a big deal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard the term "pantywaist"... is that a Utah-ism or am I just out of it (as usual)?

    I didn't hear Clinton's remarks, and I totally agree that the piracy issue needs to be handled immediately, but I haven't heard much discussion about the reasons behind the Somalian pirate attacks, which are extreme poverty and desperation. Not that the Somali's actions can be justified in any way, but the issues of hunger and poverty which are driving them to commit these violent acts need to be addressed. When one is in survival mode- and Westerners are viewed as living in the lap of luxury while they are watching their own children starve to death- violence is sure to erupt. Whenever poverty flourishes, crime and destruction are never far behind...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to disagree with you, Mary. There was a story recently that showed that most of the Somali pirates are very well off and drive around like bigshots in their homeland (somewhat like drug dealers is what I sensed). Most of the problems in Africa are due to evil and greed flourishing in their own land (which I can say with at least some knowledge, having served part of my mission in Cape Verde and having developed a major interest in the entire continent and its history). The U.S. needs to protect its interests and seamen and not honor people engaging in thuggery, that's all. I am glad that it ended well for the captain and his crew.

    ReplyDelete