Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Jackson Appreciation Day


For those of you who don't know, this is Jackson. It's his birthday, so instead of goofy, you get heartfelt today. I am kind of blown away that I've been a daddy for five years. We have gone through a lot in that time. I always felt I'd have a really hard time if I ever had a child with disabilities, and sometimes I did (and still do). But I have the cutest kids ever. I love them so much it sometimes makes me want to cry. If you are unaware, Jackson has autism and doesn't speak. But I feel so lucky that he is a happy kid, and that he comes into our world and shows affection more and more. I have seen other autistic children that keep their parents up all night, or cry a lot, and I think in most ways, we are pretty lucky. Jackson has the single cutest laugh ever, and we have really high hopes for him. Since starting school at NUAP, he's made a lot of progress and it's forced us to become really engaged in generating ideas about how best to help him. I don't know what is in the cards for Jackson, but I'm committed that he have a happy upbringing and that he becomes the best he can. I want him to experience friendship with an accepting circle of his peers, and have a girlfriend, and find something he can excel at, and I believe there is a great big world of possibility for him. Anyway, I'll leave it at that. I'm getting all verklempt. Happy birthday, little fella.

8 comments:

  1. Ahhh...now I'm getting all verklempt. And I can't believe my little guy is 5!!! Love you Jackson! And Happy Birthday. This is going to be a big year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet post for a sweet little man. Jackson really is one of the coolest kids ever...even if you sometimes have to run around behind him keeping him from knocking things over. He really does live a happy life. I'm so lucky to be his auntie!

    Happy birfday, Jackson! Can't wait to celebrate this weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Daddy-O. And Happy Birthday to the little man...

    Did you happen to catch the Today show this morning? They had a segment - which I think is running all week - devoted to Autism and Autism Research. Today they were showing a program done with robots that have increased the vocalization of kids with Autism by nearly 10% -

    [Hey Peanut Gallery - 10% is HUGE, plus if it's good enough for the Lord - it should be good enough for you dolts!]

    Sorry for yelling. Where was I? Oh yeah: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday, buddy! Uncle Brent loves the crap out of you!

    Solid blog, irmao.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW, the Pee-Wee soundtrack adds a nice touch

    ReplyDelete
  6. A sweet feeling for the big 5 birthday boy! I love his little bro and the great parents he has as well! Keep on parenting and loving and it keeps on getting better!
    We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. He is so cute, and so lucky to have such great parents. Happy birthday to your adorable little Jackson!

    ReplyDelete