Thursday, April 30, 2009

Randumb Thoughts

They're after us. Maybe it's me, but it seems like the news has been pretty lame lately, and with no real interesting stories out there, things that would ordinarily be only of passing interest turn into this:

In case you've been hiding out in a monastery, swine flu has completely dominated the news this week. Earlier in the week, there were a reported 149 deaths in Mexico, which Jon Stewart wants you to know puts it "last on the list of things that can kill you in Mexico," with the drug-war-caused "bullet flu" taking the top spot.

Ordinarily I would just shrug my shoulders about the oversaturation and exaggeration and say, "Meh, what else is new," but also in the news for the last two weeks has been the obsessively reported "Obama's First 100 Days." I mean, really? I don't mind noting the occasion, when it happens, but if you do the math, the 100th full day was just today. It seems like the 100th day of coverage of Obama's first 100 days, from every news outlet in the country. But I digress. Also also, reported just today, John Edwards's wife, Elizabeth, was sick upon learning of his affair (which was first reported in October 2007 and he finally admitted to last AUGUST). So, thanks for clearing that up. Until now I had assumed she was thrilled to find out her husband was a scum-sucking pig. And, also also also... oh boy, I've saved the best for last. Are you ready? This week we got the earth-shattering news that star Kelly McGillis is a lesbian. "Who?," you're probably asking. Oh, the hot chick from Top Gun. That movie from 1986. That lady who hasn't been seen since she played the wife in the crappy Babe Ruth movie. Okay, if this were 1986, or even 1995, it might be interesting for some. How long is the shelf life for has-been celebrities? She's in her 50s now. It seems like as homosexuality gets more and more mainstreamed, we're also becoming more obsessed with it. I guarantee you, if I had some minor claim that got me 15 minutes of fame a decade or more ago, I could come out of the closet and make millions. Take John Amaechi (please, take him). His book is considered groundbreaking because he's the first outed former NBA player. But you sucked, John. Horribly. Larry Miller should have fired you for stealing after you came over to the Jazz and parked your big ass on the bench. Doesn't matter. He's a hero. God bless America... it's no wonder so many people don't give a crap about current events with crap-ola like this dominating the news. Speaking of which, it's Thursday night and I'm hungry. I guess I'll go home and watch The Office and 30 Rock.

4 comments:

  1. That was funny - now how do you really feel about it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here, here! Brooke made me feel like an idiot for not having heard about the swine flu until the day after it broke the news. The latest pendemic, right? I've also heard that there have only been 7 deaths for sure attributed to the swine flu. Who knows which number is right? I'm with ya, though...the media is nutso. You can't get a straight story from any station. Even up here in rural Idaho. (MAN, I hate the news up here too. It reminds me of BEHS news, whatever that was called...although I think the Bees' quality was even better.)

    I'm glad you told me who whats-her-name is. Interesting how, with gayism being so main-stream, any time a celebrity comes out of the closet, it's news-worthy. Meh, indeed.

    I had not yet heard that Elizabeth was sick about her husband's affair. Thanks for catching me up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so weird! Just kidding, sort of! Thanks for making fun of me! I'm glad I give you ideas to blog about though! And I have to agree with you about the media.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree, 1 hand typing so i not say more. i feel like retard.

    ReplyDelete