Sunday, May 3, 2009

Survey #5: Hidden Movie Gems

The weekend has come and gone, and as expected, X-Men Origins: Wolverine hauled in a buttload of money. And not without merit; I thought it was a pretty solid movie. But with the summer movie season now upon us, I thought I would turn our attention to some of the underappreciated films out there. Ones that got away. Diamonds in the rough. The somewhat more low-key movies that come in under the radar unseen by mass audiences. They don't necessarily have to be indies; they could be older movies that have been forgotten, or really great documentaries. Whatever. I don't really care. I just ask that you think before you throw it out there: I don't need you to tell me that Lord of the Rings is really good. I know it's good, and so does the rest of the world. Here are a few of my favorites...

My list has to start with Murderball, quite possibly the most inspiring movie I've ever seen. It is a documentary released in 2005 about quadriplegics who play wheelchair rugby. These guys are not just in it for a friendly game, and it shows these guys as real athletes and real people who don't want your pity, nor special treatment. Disclaimer: don't pick it up for Family Home Evening if you are sensitive to tough language or detailed descriptions given by one competitor when asked about a quadriplegic's sex life. Four stars.

Lars and the Real Girl is a great little movie with a pervy-sounding premise, but miraculously very little raunchy material. It is about a painfully shy guy named Lars in a small Canadian town who develops a relationship with a blow-up doll he orders online, and the lengths the townspeople go to help him with what he's going through. It is one of the most unlikely sweet and touching movies you'll see, which is an accomplishment since it could easily have been a sex farce in the vein of American Pie. Four stars.

Without a Clue takes the interesting proposition that Sherlock Holmes is a fictional character created by Dr. Watson to mask the fact that Watson (played by Ben Kingsley) is the real genius. He hires an actor to "play" Holmes (Michael Caine), who is a bumbling moron. Watching the two Oscar winners engage in slapstick, and especially watching Caine portray such an alcoholic buffoon, is a ton of fun. Three stars.

An Unfinished Life stars Morgan Freeman and Robert Redford and has no business being on this list, but was released with such a lack of fanfare when Miramax Studios changed ownership in 2005 that it was virtually buried. Which is a real shame, because even Jennifer Lopez turns in a solid performance. It centers on a Wyoming rancher (Redford) whose estranged daughter-in-law and granddaughter arrive unexpectedly and ask to stay with him and his friend and neighbor (Freeman) who has become disabled after being mauled by a bear. The story is somewhat familiar, but the scenery is breathtaking, and it makes you feel like a million bucks.

The 'Burbs is a horror-comedy featuring Tom Hanks in typical good-guy mode in a white-bread neighborhood who reluctantly attempts to solve a mystery of a missing neighbor when a mysterious family, the Klopeks, move in next door. This one has developed quite a cult following on home theater and may be better known than the others, but was a flop when it was released in 1988. Funny stuff, especially if you're a little twisted, like me.

There are many others I could mention, but I will leave it there for now, and ask for some recommendations from you, my devoted followers. For now, sweet dreams...

6 comments:

  1. Man On Wire - a documentary filmed with a heist=flick attitude about the crazy frenchman that walked a tightrope between the twin towers of the World Trade Center. It's surprisingly good, and captivates from the beginning with accounts from many of the people that were actually involved.

    Repo: The Genetic Opera - this one's pretty gruesome and graphic in it's portrayal of violent impromptu organ repossessions (yeah, it's exactly what it sounds like). And it's got Paris Hilton in it. And it really is an opera, sung by all cast members. In spite of all this, or maybe because of it, this film is suprisingly good and a real treat to watch, but it's certainly not for everyone.

    Charlie Bartlett - I don't know how many people actually went to see this one, but it's the "Breakfast Club" of this generation. It's got smart dialogue, a great story, good acting (Robert Downey, Jr. in a role that can only be described as "playing himself" - an alcoholic mess that manages to inspire). Well worth checking out at your local Blockbuster.

    Brick - speaking of dialogue, this is the best thing to hit the screen since Pulp Fiction. You may have to watch it several times to catch all the snappy lines thrown back and forth, as well as follow all the subtle nuances of the plot. It's essentially a murder-mystery, but you won't even realize that until the end of the movie (although the murder figures in pretty prevalently).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second brick. I know some people that don't like it, but Melinda and I loved it when we saw it.

    Also if you're ok with subtitles(and you should be)
    Not One Less - This is a story of a teacher in rural china, and her determination to do what she sees as her duty. One of the only movies ever that almost caused me to cry.

    The Fall - An odd, but beautiful fairy tale with a tragic portion of reality, both for, and not for children.

    In America - A tale of Irish immigrants in NYC, trying to recover from a tragedy.

    Once - A half-romance centered around music. Refreshingly, it's about the half of the romance that hollywood never shows, the first half.

    The Painted Veil - I don't know if this was popular or not, but we loved it.

    Pieces of April - Katie Holmes is now a scientologist, but she has a past as a punk. Family movie about thanksgiving and redemption, but not in the cheesy way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second you on Lars and the Real Girl. Loved it.

    Dear Frankie-it's an independent film that takes place in Scotland (one reason I love it). It's about a deaf kid who writes to his father who's out at sea, but it turns out it's really his mother writing the letters. The plot thickens...and it's lovely. Also, starring GErard Butler. :)

    Heavy Weights-a funny Disney movie with Ben Stiller back when he was an unknown with nasty teeth. About a fat kid camp. Makes me laugh every time.

    Miss Pettigrew Lives For a Day-I hadn't heard of this one till it was on video. It's about a woman who "nannies" an up-and-coming starlet in London just before WWII begins. So good I had to buy it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to disagree with Gina on Miss Pettigrew. I didn't really enjoy it.

    I second Aaron though. I seriously love The 'Burbs. Seriously. Love it.

    I also like Nothing But Trouble. I really enjoy 80s movies, especially Chevy Chase. Given that, I have to say Fletch Lives. It is better and funnier than Fletch (although Fletch is good too).

    Christmas Vacation - If you need a good laugh...a lot of good laughs.

    Pan's Labyrinth - Maybe this isn't a forgotten one...

    American Beauty - Again, probably not forgotten, but I loved this movie.

    Brave Little Toaster - It's a classic!! I loved this movie growing up.

    The Halloween Tree - You can't find it on DVD. Best movie! Based on the book by Ray Bradbury. I love this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, Bec...we've agreed to disagree before. Friendship still intact. I can deal with you not liking Miss Pettigrew. But REALLY?! You love Chevy Chase?! OH NO! He's one I just can't deal with. Unless it's the Three Amigos, I cannot STAND him.

    Brave Little Toaster is a fine film, though. I haven't seen it in years.

    ReplyDelete