Tuesday, March 31, 2009

It's colder than a witch's teat in a brass bra!



I'm not going to complain, because I know we need the moisture. But I am going to start wearing a big, poofy, furry hat like they wear in Fargo and in Russia. In fact, I'm starting to think I'm in Fargo. And if I could grow a beard that didn't make me look like Joe Dirt, I'd do that too. But really, this is not very springlike weather. Except for a couple of weeks in mid-March when it got really nice really fast, this winter has seemed eternal. And we're expecting another storm Wednesday. And again on Friday. Then one more on Monday. It's like God's April Fool's joke. At least this will force Jack Mormons in Utah to pay attention to conference, and make me feel better about getting ten hours of religion this weekend (although, realistically, I will probably drift off for most of at least one session), and the weather can be as Fargolike as it wants.

Speaking of Fargo, can I just say how much I love the Coen Brothers and their movies? In my recent post on the worst movies ever, one reader expressed hatred for anything made by the Coens, among other classics. Dumb and Dumber might just be the most quotable movie ever, and stands on its own with or without your approval, Mr. Nathan Graham. As for the Coens, I have seen every one of their thirteen (to date) feature-length movies, and liked them all. Some are better than others, but I know going in I'm never going to be bored. I do agree with your general assessment of most of Jim Carrey's slapstick, so no hard feelings... you scum-sucking pig. (Just kidding. Kind of).

We've started disciplining our children with a strategy known as "thumbscrews". Just kidding, it's a strategy called "seat-away" that they use at Jackson's school, where the offending child is put in a seat facing the corner until they are good and miserable and penitent, not speaking to or making eye contact with them until that time, and it seems to work really well. I'm listening to the tortured screams of Seth right now as he refuses to take his seat-away like a man. Maybe next time he'll think twice before hitting his mother, or throwing food, or writing bad checks. Anyhoo, you stay classy, San Diego...

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, you show Seth for writing bad checks!Sounds like I really ought to watch some Coen movies. There are 13 of them? Really? I think the only ones I've seen thus far are O Broher, Where Art Thou? and Raising Arizona (both are hilarious).

    ReplyDelete
  2. all though I love the title of this post... I must ask... How do you know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it horrible that the part I'm laughing hardest at is the "I'm listening to the tortured screams of Seth right now as he refuses to take his seat-away like a man" line? Bwa ha! Poor bad little kid...he really shouldn't hit his momma or throw his food or write bad checks! Good to know that the seat-away thing works with your boys.

    Oh, I heart them.

    Oh yeah, and I HATE this weather!

    Way to end on a positive note, Gina...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comment - See folks. At the moment I don't have much to say about the post, but I'm saying: "Hi Aaron - nice post. Hope the boys learn to behave before you send them out in public on their own."

    What was difficult about that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY, I can't wait for a nice, snowy, Fargo-like spring break, although I've never seen Fargo and have no idea who the Coen brothers are. We've been wearing flip flops since mid-February; too bad I have so many kids, or I'd definitely be packing my skiis; snow is GREAT FUN!

    So thanks for the parenting tip; I'm so excited to try the seat-away (I'm sure it won't be long- morning is just hours away). Maybe there's still hope for my mouthy, unruly kids...

    My Utah plans are all over the place and nothing is certain because I have a sister in Eagle Mountain and a mother-in-law in Logan and both of them act like toddlers, and both of them are trying to persuade me to stay with them longer.... I, the wuss who hates disappointing people, am usually bullied into doing whatever the loudest person demands, so I'm not really sure how, if, or when Layton fits into my plans yet. When I grow a spine, I'll get back to ya! Maybe I'll put them in a seat away and regain control of my life...

    Enjoy conference, and all that chilly weather.

    ReplyDelete