Monday, March 23, 2009

Survey #2: Worst Movie Ever


Okay people, it's time to dig in deep to your most horrific and painful memories, and cast your vote for the worst movies ever. It's been only two weeks since our last (and first) survey, which I had planned to make a monthly feature on the blog. But when I was at the Redbox today, I noticed that Rob Schneider's masterpiece, Big Stan, is going straight to DVD tomorrow, and I thought this would be a great topic. For those of you who missed the memo, Big Stan is the moving story of a con artist who panics when he learns he's going to prison for fraud, and his fear of jailhouse rape leads him to hire a martial arts guru to teach him self-defense. It gets better: the guru is none other than David Carradine, the actor who plays Bill on Kill Bill, and the movie's original title was Unrapeable. Seriously. I couldn't make this stuff up. Anyhoo, the thought occurred to me, how bad would this movie have to be to be sent straight to DVD? Rob Schneider has set the bar pretty low with The Animal, The Hot Chick, and TWO Deuce Bigalow movies, all of which got theatrical releases. I am almost tempted to pick it up just to see how much worse it could be, and am extra intrigued because it features Jennifer Morrison (Cameron from House) as Schneider's wife.

So, let's hear your thoughts on some of your least favorite movies. The Animal may be the worst alleged comedy I've ever sat through, although the remake of The Producers came close. For overrated pretentious crap, it's hard to top The English Patient. For raping my childhood and destroying a classic, Treasure Planet deserves a special place in movie hell. 27 Dresses and Pillow Talk are two bad chick flicks that, even by bad chick flick standards (dialogue that makes you cringe, an obnoxious speech about love, and the girl predictably getting whatever she wants in the end, even if she's an incorrigible wench) are complete and utter garbage. Ghost Rider deserves a mention as possibly the worst movie I've seen in the last couple of years, or worst Nicolas Cage movie, which has kind of become its own genre. Cage seems to be playing with our minds, taking only the best and worst movies offered to him with absolutely no middle ground. And no list would be complete without Batman and Robin, which revels in its awfulness, and can only be described as super-gay, what with all the rubber nipples, codpieces, and choreographed henchmen wreaking havoc in rhythm, and nearly killed any future Batman films altogether. Alfred is at death's door, then just when all seems lost, comes out to say "I'm all better now. Oh, and I took the liberty of making Alicia Silverstone a bat-suit for ladies. You know, with boobies... just in case she wanted to fight crime. Or something." And we can't fail to mention Arnold Schwarzenegger's nuanced, subtle portrayal of Mr. Freeze. Anyway, whether it's of the "so-bad-it's-good" variety, or simply "so-bad-I-wanted-to bleach-my-eyes," the floor is now yours.

13 comments:

  1. Be Kind Rewind
    From Justin to Kelly
    Pretty much anything with Eddy Murphy
    Scary Movie (all of them)
    And any that follow that type...

    There are a lot more, but it's hard to think of on the spot. I also hated Bounce...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one movie that always comes to mind for me is, "The Bear" or "Bear"...whatever that cursed movie is called. I remember having to watch it in elementary school on a rainy day, and thinking, "What is this!?" and "Is anything ever going to happen?!" It's almost like a documentary, but at least in those there is some narration!
    I also agree with Aaron on "Batman and Robin"...."Bounce" was pretty bad too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sad that Becca said "anything with Eddy Murphy" because I-Spy is an all-time favorite of mine.

    But that's not what this post is about.

    WORST MOVIES:
    -The Never Ending Story. I hated it when I was a kid and have never been able to make myself watch it again.
    -Adventures in Babysitting. My roommates made me watch this and I hated it so much it put me in a foul mood.
    -I'm gonna get crap for this, but I loathe ET. So much.
    -The English Patient is one I totally agree with, Aaron. I remember watching that with you and Amy when we were all in Logan and I thought that the movie would NEVER end. HOW did it win best picture?
    -Contact. I tried desperately to watch this with some friends in high school and I fell asleep almost instantly. I also woke up a half a dozen times, thinking each time that the movie must be close to over. It never was, interestingly enough...
    -I've never seen Batman and Robin, and I pretty much stay away from Rob Schnider movies.

    There are more, but this will do...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah! Atilla the Hun. I watched this one with Carson Walker and Julia Munns during our senior year in high school, I think. It's funny how one can remember all the details about who and where a horrible movie was watched, eh? Anyways, this one also seemed to go on forever. Years later, when I discovered Gerard Butler (from Phantom and Dear Frankie) I imdb-ed him and discovered HE is Atilla the Hun! Haven't had the courage to make myself watch that one again...
    -Aaaand...Van Helsing. I love Hugh so much, but was grossly disappointed in this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen that one, Gina, but I will have to watch it (only because you recommended it).

    And I'm sad you said Neverending Story.

    But I do agree with you about ET! Also, there's some movie with Lindsay Lohan. Something with the word Luck in it. That sucks, too. I know, I know...it has Lindsay Lohan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband say:
    Godsend
    Elizabethtown
    Dumb and Dumberer

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sad to say that I possess the worst memory EVER, so I'm having a hard time recalling my own personal worst movie. Worst kids movies are definitely Doogal, and Happily Never-After. The movie I was the most disappointed with that I can recall right now was Jeepers Creepers. That movie was SO SCARY and I was SO scared of the brutishly strong psycho serial killer, until he turns out to be some flying-alien-demon-whatever. WHAT????? What was that thing supposed to be anyway? That movie had AWESOME build-up, I was completely FREAKED OUT, and then just angry. Why ruin such a good intro? LAME! So I also recall a HORRID movie that Jon and I actually walked out of years ago; it was the Birdcage with Robin Williams... it SUCKED! And last but not least, I actually sat through Pulp Fiction, because I was on a date with some Fraternity jerk and I didn't have the guts to bail, and I am telling you, that movie corrupted this sweet little Mormon girl. I can't believe I survived the assault on my soul... Yep. Pulp Fiction is definitely THE WORST movie I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm probably going to get a lot of crap for these. This is just my opinion. I know there are worse movies than the ones on my list, but I can only review the ones I've seen.

    I would say the all time worst movie ever would either be:

    Dumb & Dumber or Fargo.

    I would almost rather get a root canal WITHOUT any Novocaine than to sit through either of these again.

    Here's my vote for other movies that I've been tortured with:
    - Apocalypse Now
    - Birdcage
    - Bruce Almighty
    - Dead Man
    - Liar Liar
    - The Mask
    - Raising Arizona
    - Rope (I love Alfred Hitchcock movies, but I don't know what he was thinking when he did this one)
    - Scary Movie (probably all of them, I've only seen the first one, and can't bring myself to see anything else they've done)
    - A Streetcar Named Desire
    - Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original; the remake was actually pretty good)
    - To Die For

    Pretty much anything with Jim Carey in it would make me want to scratch my eyes out; or anything by the Coen Brothers: Fargo, Raising Arizona, etc.

    I also agree with the comments above about The English Patient, and Batman & Robin. I wouldn't say they were the worst movies ever, but they were very painful to watch and I hope to never have to sit through them again.

    I would probably agree with Pulp Fiction, but I can't because I've only seen about 15 minutes of it, thank goodness. I've never seen any movies with Rob Schneider in it, or with Will Ferrell, or they would probably be on my list as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How about the Interantional? It drags on and on and on, and every time you think something might happen, it doesn't. Then after an hour there's finally a shootout which is pretty cool. Then it's another hour of nothing. It's the longest 2 hour movie I've ever seen, and by far the most disappointing. I watched this crap with Luke and Goose, and we had just got out of watching Taken, which set the bar pretty high. Instead I get nothing but dry dialogue. Like Connspiracy Theory meets the English Patient. Not a winning combination. If it wasn't for Taken, I might have needed therapy. Thank heaven for Liam Neeson.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well heck I am going to go for the most recent movie I saw and it sucked royally... TWILIGHT! Everyone always says "it can't compete with the book" well it didn't compete with the book or any other good movie for that matter. Acting and script were horrible. I agree with the Rob Shneider stuff because I just think of him or Adam Sandler and want to throw up. I can't think of more right now on the spot but will think some more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to defend Rob Schneider in one movie-Benchwamers. Everything else of his I hate. And I have to second Jim Carrey. I can't stand him. I only like Horton Hears A Who! Yes, I watch animated movies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. dumbest movie i've seen in the last month?

    twilight. hands down. what a pile of steaming crap.

    dumbest movie i've seen in the last three months?

    hancock. this movie was horrible. will smith couldn't even save it.

    other movies i don't like at all:

    1. any of the austin powers flicks. they don't make me laugh. they are stupid.

    2. amityville horror. the remade one. CRAP.

    3. babel. i really tried to like this, because it was all artsy-fartsy and it had brad pitt in it. overall, i just found it disturbing, pointless and lame. it was nominated for an oscar and it sucked!

    4. bolt. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. need i say more?

    ReplyDelete