Monday, March 9, 2009

Survey: Favorite Movie Villains

I have been toying with the idea of doing a monthly survey, but I need more readers than the six followers I've gained in my first month of blogging. Please bring your friends, even if they don't want to participate in the blog on a regular basis. This month's question: who is your favorite movie villain of all time? I myself am partial to Jason Voorhees, who I always feared would hack my limbs off when I was walking home from my friend Brandon's house after a Friday the 13th marathon on TNT's MonsterVision. The guy wouldn't die, even if he took a machete to the face. Plus, I always took a shortcut through a couple of neighborhood backyards, which saved me time, but looked remarkably like the woods at Camp Crystal Lake, especially if you'd just spent four hours with the poor, unsuspecting, promiscuous teenage camp counselors in installments I through VII. (And yes, that wasn't too far from my average Saturday night in high school, rather than doing whatever the cool kids do. I wouldn't know).

I also think that Buffalo Bill/Jame Gumb from Silence of the Lambs was much scarier than the famed Dr. Lecter, who you could almost classify as a protagonist in the film/book. Gumb was just creepy, making his woman suit and speaking to his prisoners as inanimate objects. I actually kind of aspired to be like Dr. Lecter: refined, polite, and brilliant, just without the taste for human flesh. Oh, and I just have to pass this on: I ran across a Japanese anime-style cartoon caricature of villain Anton Chigurh from No Country For Old Men. He looks so happy as he searches for the next victim of his airgun. Isn't he cute?

Anyhoo, who are your favorites? Discuss.

4 comments:

  1. Hmm...I need to think on this one. My initial thought is IT. I watched IT when I was a wee lass and Mandy's house...only I didn't get to watch it to the very end (which, I hear, makes IT out to be a pretty gay movie after all). Alas...I hate clowns, and I'm pretty sure that it's because of this movie. I remember being terrified every time I took a shower for, I dunno, MONTHS. I seriously sang a Primary song every time I hopped in the shower (I was that young). Also, I didn't like the idea of getting too close to gutter drains. And even though I've heard that the ending would help me get over my fear of IT, I haven't been able to bring myself to do so.

    I'll concur with you on the creepo from Silence of the Lambs...he was worse than Lecter by a landslide. Although I was good and freaked by Lecter too. (Especially the part where he escapes...*shudder*)

    I've only seen it once on TV a long time ago, but the villain on Copycat was good and creepy. What was his name? I can't even think of who the actor was...

    Also...Keyser Soze. Even though you never really see him "real-time", what have you...he's one bad man.

    Wait...did you just want me to pick one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to cheat and agree with Gina. I hate clowns and all because of the first Poltergeist movies. I hate those movies to this day and the movie IT did not help...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Hannigan : Annie

    Abominable Snowman : Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

    Gargamel: The Smurfs (I know it's not a movie, but they just came out on DVD and if you watch them all together - then it's like a movie. No?)

    Reality: The Never Ending Story (Just knowing that reality was the true killer of Fantasia - just kills)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bavmorta from Willow. That creepy old lady freaked me out almost as much as the trolls did. And then there's Heth Ledger as Joker. AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete