Monday, March 2, 2009


Some of you have asked about the name of my blog. It is a reference to one of my favorite books, John Steinbeck's Travels with Charley: In Search of America, a documentation of a cross-country road trip he took across America in the 1960s with his French poodle, Charley, near the end of Steinbeck's life. I have had a strange lifelong wanderlust and really connected with the story, and have always thought it would be a fantastic way to see the country, traveling through on mostly highways and back roads to stamp out some of the homogenization caused by the Interstates. "Gilly" was a nickname given me by a former mission mission companion, taken from my last name. For my blog, I wanted something original, but accessible and unpretentious, and it seemed like a good fit. Your travels with me will probably differ wildly from post to post. That's just the kind of guy I am. One day I may write about my innermost thoughts on politics and existence, and the virtues and shortcomings of Taco Bell the next. So far it's been pretty lightweight. But I appreciate you being part of the journey, whether you read the blog or not. Until next post, Godspeed.

3 comments:

  1. I dig your blog. And you gave me an idea for my next post. But that'll have to wait till next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was that book based on Disney/Pixar's movie Cars?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I like your blog. A lot.

    And I always liked the title too...

    ReplyDelete